Friday 13 December 2013

The boring stuff

While my parents were never keen on me having a job while at school - doing well academically was always preferred over having a few extra pennies in my pocket - during the holidays I was encouraged to earn an honest crust!
Thus, I found myself doing a variety of jobs over the years: I was a steward at Notts County Football Club, I spent a holiday working in a park, in an office, as a barman etc. I've never really not worked since leaving school.
On finishing university I spent half the year working in Italy and the other half managing a record shop in Nottingham.
At a certain point, however, I felt that it would be more sensible trying to find use for my degree in Italian and French and this, coupled with the opportunity to live in Alassio on the Italian Riviera, led me to do a course in TEFL in Canterbury before packing my bags.
In Italy I found work in a hotel kitchen and then as a gardener before an opportunity to teach at a school in Genoa came up. Despite the distance and timetables I enjoyed the work and over the next 12 to 15 years I both taught English and covered the role of Director of Studies in a number of schools in Liguria and Lombardy.
I then saw the opportunity to work for a publishing company, promoting their materials to teachers, both state and private, at all levels, including universities. I then moved to a rival publishing house before being approached to promote ELT products around the world and returning to Liguria, this time to Rapallo, a short drive from Portofino.
I currently work as a teacher trainer for a major Italian publishing house and spend my time travelling up and down Italy holding seminars and helping our agents promote our scholastic English materials.

From here came the idea to combine my endless time on the road with my love of good food. While I miss every moment I'm away from my wife and dogs, I can at least help the time pass more quickly in the evenings by posting my photos and thoughts here in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment